Monday, 27 November 2017

Maya Angelou

This morning our Year 6s were inspired by a poem by the amazing Maya Angelou.
We talked about why we are such wonderful writers - we feel safe, we trust those around us, we have freedom to write from our hearts, and we are exposed to so much vocabulary. What teachings for us all!

Amelie
Surrounded by thoughts, like an ocean
Waves crashing
Engulfing me
My past reflecting in dark waters
Blundering against the shore
Wishing for freedom

Image result for waves crashing on shore

Stella
Believe in your trust
Trust who you believe
Memories are your monsters
Fear is your power.
Why?

An opening void
Taunting with his demons
Living but not
Raging but serene
A battle for your emotions.

Why? Because you are you
A veil of darkness
Conceals light and hope
Your fantasy
Why?

Image result for light and hope concealed

Liam D
Alone in the dark
Wind galloping around me
I wonder why?

My mind racing
Trapped
Scouring the umbral plains
Hunting me.

Their hatred prevails
I stand
With my last hope.

I persist
Holding on
I see the light.

Image result for plains

At Last
Sofia
Freedom
It finds me
Calling
Wishing
Hoping
For someone to unlock the prize it holds
A whisper
A single ray of light emerges
Diving deeper and deeper
Into my soul
Free at last.

Image result for single ray of light

Them
Maia
Shadows stalk my thoughts
Immersed in darkness
Wishing,
Crying,
For it.

Monsters emerge from the depths
Weapons,
Lashing at me,
Revealing the cracks
That break me apart.

Tormenting me,
Flashing memories
I reach out to touch it
But they disappear
Alone.

Image result for shadows

Isaac
Black frost coats the ground of my prison
Its bedraggled and empty halls stand their ground
Against the growing hope.

Light begins to bend the bars of darkness
As a solitary being escapes his bond
Disappearing into a world of hope.

Image result for solitary

Poppy
A shiver runs up my spine
A cold hand touches my shoulder
The darkness emerges from the light
Monsters surround me
Their eyes glow.

I burn in rage
I find a glimpse
of light
I tear at the light
The dark curtains fall
As light lives once again.

Image result for glowing eyes

Hannah
Immersed with wonder
The darkness of the barren land envelopes
Questioning why?

Contorted branches try to grab me
Try to stop
But still I fight.

A solitary glimpse of sun shines through
And I realise
There is still hope.

Image result for contorted branches

Ben W
Stuck deep in the void
Confused
Lonely
No hope for freedom.

Trying to find a light
A sign
But nobody knows

Alone, all alone
In the dark
Awaiting for the time
To fly
To be free.

Image result for darkness

Eli
Frosty memories flood my mind
Restraining me from freedom
Caging me in a barren void.

I blunder against bars of rage
As silhouetted forms,
Mocking me,
Clouding my brain
Consuming me with darkness
Draining my hope.

Image result for silhouetted

9 comments:

  1. I love the part in Ben's one when it says to fly to be free

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Maia's poem it has great vocabulary.
    i like "weapons lashing at me" and "flashing memories"
    Maia's poem is very powerful, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Maia you used such strong language it drew a picture in my mind and Simone loved at the end you made a image of a memorie disappearing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done Maia I really the like last stanza because of the great language you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Poppy! :)
    You have an amazing poem, you used great language.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelie I like how your poem is all about the ocean and water not lots of different things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaac you used great words and had a great poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked Elis poem because of the pictures it created in my head and also the amazing language he used. But my favorite line in his poem was "Caging me in a barren void" so good job Eli 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed reading Hannah's poem,
    my favorite part is A solitary glimpse of sun shines through..
    Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete